Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I still don't have much to report in terms of work but I feel compelled to write and so I will update you on what I have been doing to keep myself from going crazy! I am kind of burned out on wandering around the town, so for the last few days I have been focusing inward a bit.

I played my flute for the first time in years. I packed it only at the last moment after one of my fellow interns at the CAPI orientation strongly suggested that we bring as many portable things to do as possible. I had already put most of my belongings into storage and so I wasn't even sure that I had it. All of my sheet music is in storage but thankfully my flute is with me and I found several websites with music that I can play from. I am actually pretty amazed that I can still play and read music. I played a lot in high school but hardly at all since then. At first I was a little rusty on the sight reading but it came back to me after a few minutes.

I have also been reading some books from research courses that I took as part of my BSW. In addition to preparing for the project that I hope to do here, this has inspired me to think about what I would want to do for an MSW thesis. I have known ever since I graduated that I wanted to go back at some point but I wasn't sure what my focus would be. I know that it would centre around kids in the social service system in Canada, but that is pretty broad. After being here and learning a bit about the plans for improving the lives of disadvantaged children through the education system here in Vietnam (and looking forward to starting work and learning more!) I am considering researching something about how the school system supports or suppresses the resiliency of foster children in BC. Does anyone know of any research or resources in this area?

Later this week the Assistant Director of CAPI will come to visit and I hope that she will help me to get things going here. I feel hopeful. Until then I will try to occupy myself as best I can.

Compulsively listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Show Your Bones".
Reading "Sophie's World"

No comments: