Saturday, August 26, 2006


Tonight I had the honor and the pleasure of attending a local talent show of sorts. It was a competition between four school groups, one was a Khmer group, one was from Cang Long high school, another a local high school and finally TVCC. It was quite a spectacle with much choreography, props and lovely girls in Ao Dais and stoic guys foisting-high red flags emblazoned with the hammer and sickle.
I have learned in my time here that Vietnamese people really love singing. There is no way that I could overstate the prevalence of singing here, be it in Karaoke, in a show like tonight or just as the inspiration strikes in everyday life. Maybe it is related to the whole tonal language thing...
In any case the TVCC English club is organizing a soiree of their own in a few weeks and true to form, this will include singing. The students have been trying to convince me to sing an English song at the meetings pretty much from the beginning. I mercifully have been saving them from this kind of aural abuse, but now I have some how gotten talked into singing at the party. I am not sure if any of you have ever heard me sing... and there is a good reason for that. But what the hell.

Most people here favour singing very romantic or sentimental songs, the more they can emote the better. Just to shake things up I am fantasizing about busting out something angry like "Enter Sandman" or maybe something non-sequitur from Neutral Milk Hotel... Kate Bush? Maybe some artful wailing? Anyway, your suggestions, serious or humorous are much appreciated. Comment away faithful readers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Florine, I personally think you should bust out with some "Stairway to heaven" or "Pour some sugar on me" -- I would LOVE to hear you sing those!!!

Lena

jeannie said...

is there really any question. You're Canadian - it's gotta be Celine Dion:) That's what we're famous for.

Laura said...

Oh just sing enter sandman ! you never know they might like it !